Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Story

"[A Fine Art Knitalong] is a way to make an artistic impression with an impact unlike any single artist's work." – Larissa Brown, 2008, Knitalong, Fine Art Knitalongs


Thank you so much for your interest in the Knitted Flower Project. The goals of this project are to perpetuate knitting, engage in and encourage communal artmaking, and provide a forum for discussion and dialogue about the role of knitting in the lives of the participants and women in general. There will be two products of this project. The first is a knitted artwork, a garden of individual flowers knit by each participant. The second is my written thesis for a Masters of Arts Policy and Administration based on our conversations and my own historical research, which I plan to share with you throughout the course of this project.

Knitting has experienced resurgence in popularity. Women, myself included, are returning to the craft, learning it for the first time, and re-evaluating it’s potential. As an avid knitter and scholar, I began to see these two aspects of my personality converge. As I began to explore, I discovered that many knitters were telling the same story. They spoke of feminism, anti-consumerism, activism, environmentalism, building friendships and communities, reconnecting to their foremothers, and making something with their hands. The goals of my research are to unpack these issues and desires and then apply them through the act of knitting itself. In order to do this I need creative knitters like you to share your talents and opinions as participants.

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee. I came here to find out how to sign up, and lo there's my name.

    ReplyDelete